Dundalk Tidy Towns would like to ask all businesses to help make our town look its best. With the Fleadh Cheoil being held in Drogheda for the next two years, we will have extra tourists in Dundalk, so we will have extra footfall on our streets. Shopfronts form an important part of a street’s character, the better maintained and well designed the shopfront is, the more attractive it is for the shopper or tourist. So, we have complied a list of things you could do to help you capitalise on this opportunity.
- A fresh coat of paint
- Hanging Baskets / Window Boxes (council colour scheme is Blue/ Purple, Red and White
- Clean your windows
- Wash down your doors
- Sweep outside your premises at the start of business very morning
- Clear gutters
- Does your signage need to be updated?
- Decals on window can be very pretty and not expensive
- Look up to your roof, do you have trees growing out of your chimney, this will cause structural damage over time.
- If you have a landlord ask can they help with freshening up the building.
- If there are offices above your shop see if you can join forces and help each other to maintain the building
- If there is an empty building beside you contact the Chamber, ask them if they can contact the owners to smarted up their premises.
We know a lot of you are already take great pride in looking after your businesses, but a tourist looks at a street, not just one shop and decides if they will shop on it, so it is in everybody’s interest if we an encourage everyone to take part.
The committee will be doing regular litter picks and making sure the approach roads look welcoming and litter free.
We will also be liaising with the litter warden to highlight any illegal dumping. We have a great town but let’s make it the best town and make sure that we get the tourists to stay, shop and return next year. The Fleadh runs from the 12th to the 19th August 2018 but now is the time to get ready.