Anthony Murphy author of Mythical Ireland launched the 11th Brigid of Faughart Festival, in Louth County Library on Thursday11th January. The Brigid of Faughart Festival celebrates Brigid as Pre-Christian Goddess, Christian Saint and wise woman of the 21st Century and also marks the ancient festival of Imbolc announcing the beginning of Spring.
The Festival will take place in Faughart, Dundalk and Ravensdale, Co. Louth between Saturday Jan 27th and Sunday 4th Feb 2018.
The theme of this year’s festival is “Brigid, Muse to the Cultural Creative” a timely focus as we seek to create a more sustainable culture in these times of uncertainty. This unique modern festival celebrates four different, yet interrelated themes exploring Brigid and her legacy as an environmentalist, healer, poet and spiritual teacher.
Festival Events include:
- Pilgrimage from Dundalk to Faughart and Exploring the Sacred Sites of Faughart Saturday 27thh January.
- Dr Sharon Blackie author of “If Women Rose Rooted “ lecture and forum exploring the need to reconnect with our native feminine wisdom.
- Various workshops including Creative Writing, Movement Medicine, Sound Healing, Circle Dance, Gardening, Healthy Food and Be the Change
- Celebration of Brigid in Song and Prayer with Carmel Boyle, Ann Mc Donald, Dolores Whelan, Fr. Tom Hamill on Lá Fheile Bhride, 1st February, The Oratory, Faughart.
- Day of Healing, 1st February, 1-8pm, Healing sessions in various modalities available.
- Brigid Cross Making with primary school children and adults.
- The Archaeology of Faughart.
- ‘The Wooing of the Soul’, a one woman play.
- Kate Fitzpatrick, author of “Macha’s Twins”, “Brigid, Culture and Transformation”
- Stories & Conversations for a Healthy and Resilient Culture facilitated by Davie Phillips.
- An Evening Weaving Poetry, Music and Song in An Tain Arts Centre.
- Closing Ritual, Ravensdale Community Centre, 4th February.
Full programme and booking details available on http://www.brigidoffaughart.ie. Interest in the festival has grown over the past 10 years, with increasing numbers of people attending from all over Ireland, Europe and the Americas.
For further details or to arrange an interview about the festival or with any of the speakers contact Dolores Whelan, 042 9371901/ 086 8434117 or email email@example.com
- 11th Brigid of Faughart Festival (pdf/223 KB)