Friday 14th to Sunday 16th September
Liam O’Neill, Uachtaran CLG to unveil commemorative plaque at site of first documented Football Match in 1750.
2012 marks the centenary of the establishment of Coláiste Bhríde Oméith. Commemorative events are being planned to celebrate this important cultural event by An Cumann Stair Uí Mhéith (Omeath Historical Society) and An Ciorcal Comhra ƠMéith (Omeath Gaelic Speaking Circle).
In 1912, Omeath nestled on the shores of Carlingford Lough on the Cooley Peninsula was a Gaeltacht area rich with native Irish speakers as well as having its own local dialect, songs, poetry and traditional customs. Coláiste Bhríde was a summer Gaelic college inaugurated in 1912 until it moved to Rannafast in Donegal in 1926. The college contributed significantly to the heritage of the Irish language and its importance is still noted today.
The Coláiste Bhríde Oméith Centenary Celebrations
The celebrations began in August, with an intensive Irish language course held in the Strand Hotel on the shores of Carlingford Lough in the village of Omeath. The classes in “Gaelige Oriel”, the original local dialect were taught to Irish language enthusiasts of all levels and ages.
As part of the upcoming celebrations on Saturday the 15th of September the local Gaelic Athletic Club, Cú Chulainn Gaels in Omeath have organised a “Retro” Gaelic football match between Omeath and Rannafast to commemorate the first documented game of Gaelic football played in Ireland in 1750. The location for this historic re-enactment will be at the playing fields in Omeath close to “Bavan Meadow” where the original match was played.
Liam O’Neill, Uachtaran CLG will unveil the commemorative plaque prior to throwing the ball in to begin the “Retro” style football game.
The “Retro” Gaelic football match will be played between 30 inter-county footballers both past and present (wearing old style kits). Footballers from Armagh, Antrim, Down, Derry, Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Kildare, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Meath, Louth, Cork and Dublin (and possibly Kerry) will participate with Pat Mc Enaney refereeing.
The players include: Joe Brolly, Enda Gormley, Paddy Bradley, Aidan O Rourke, Kieran Mc Geeney, Benny Tierney, Steven Mc Donnell, Tony Mc Entee, Kevin Dyas, Trevor Giles, Padrigh O’Neill, Garath O’Neill, Jody Devine, Laim Mc Hale, James Gallagher, Paddy keenan, Peter Fitzpatrick, Seamus O’Hanlon, Shane Lennon, Sean Mc Greevy, Kevin Brady, Michael Mc Cann, Mickey Linden, Matty Mc Gleenan, Ciaran Mc Bride, Paddy Cunningham, Brian Burns, DJ Kane, Dan Gordan, James Mc Cartan, Benny Coulter, Ross Carr, Greg Mc Cartan, Tony Boyle, JJ Doherty, Sean O Domhaill, Sean Og O Halpin, Jody Gormley, Paul Curran, Vinny Murphy, Barney Rock, Shane King, Naill Cahalane, Larry Thompkins, John Doyle.
Over the weekend there will be a guided tour “as Gaelige” of the remaining cottages of the old Gaelic speakers, a mountain hike through the ‘Cadgers Pad’ taking in part of the All Ireland Poc Fada course, the aforementioned plaque unveiling and football match, Currach race on Carlingford Lough from Omeath to Warrenpoint, a Food & Craft Fair, a céilí and traditional music events in the Cornamucklagh House, Howes Bar and other venues in the Omeath area on the Cooley Peninsula.
The celebrations begin on Friday evening in the Gran’ Vue House, Omeath, which will include a lecture on the history of the college by Séan Quigley, Dundalk, a performance of songs from the area contemporary with the college itself by Pádraigín Ni Ullacháin, Irish dancing by local children and the launch of a commemorative book compiled by Fr. Barney King C.C. of Glasdrummond.